Let’s talk self-love, shall we? On the surface it sounds all serene and simple and hippy-dippy right? I’m sure for some people it is, but I am not one of those fortunate people. And if you’ve stumbled upon this post, you’re probably not one of them either. Unfortunately, self-love is not a linear progression, even though I truly wish it was. But it’s just not that simple, because people aren’t that simple.
Maybe you’ve already been struggling with this concept called self-love, or maybe you’re curious but just don’t know where or how to start. I get it. It’s totally overwhelming. And there will always be days where it’s just not quite clicking and you’re not feeling too hot about yourself. Trust me, it’s normal. If you’re in a funk or you’re trying to figure out how to get the ball rolling, I would like to propose a simple self-love exercise for to help get you back in a cozy mindset. In fact, this exercise is so simple that a lot of people forget about it or completely overlook it, which is such a damn shame because it takes maybe 30 seconds and is immediately effective.
Drum roll please! Here it is! My big magical secret to jumpstarting your self-love! Make a list. Yes, just a little tiny list. With this list, write out (or type out) 10 things you love about yourself. If you’re one of those people who doesn’t like to talk about themselves (like me), don’t freak out! I promise, this isn’t as bad as you think. You don’t have to get all deep and introspective if you’re not feeling it just yet. Big picture traits are great to identify in this exercise as things to love about yourself, but it’s also perfectly fine to start small and simple. In fact, the small and simple stuff is just as important to acknowledge and love on.
But don’t worry, I’m not going to leave you to go it alone! Here’s my own little list of 10 things I love about myself. And believe me, this is gonna get really goofy and cheesy. But that’s okay because I love cheese!
- I love my brain
- My brain is big and interesting and capable of absorbing thousands of new things every day. I’m smart and I’m proud of my intelligence-based accomplishments.
- I love my heart
- My heart is big and open and accepting. I’m overflowing with love for my family and friends and my online community.
- I love my goofy sense of humor
- My jokes are hilarious to me, even if they’re lame or cringe-worthy to other people. I love being able to make people laugh, but most importantly I love being able to make myself laugh.
- I love my sick dance moves
- I’m not a professional dancer, but when I turn up my jams I get wild! I love putting myself and my joy into my dancing.
- I love my body
- My body is healthy and mobile and and it provides my soul with a vessel that allows me to experience my world. It does incredible things every day to keep me going.
- I love my love of sweets
- I take so much joy in delicious treats that I truly feel my soul elevating into the sweet heavens. I’m able to passionately enjoy the simple things.
- I love my compassion
- My ability to welcome and understand and care for all forms of life is such an important aspect of my mission as a writer and creative entrepreneur. I love that I can feel deeply for anyone and anything.
- I love my creative talents
- Writing, drawing, singing, dancing, and playing instruments. I have numerous creative pursuits that I enjoy and feel confident in.
- I love my drive
- When I put my mind to something, I see it through, even if I get frustrated or exhausted along the way. I look at the big picture and do what I need to do to get there, knowing that the reward will be sweet.
- I love my botched attempts at cooking
- Even though it’s not a strength of mine, I love that I still give it a shot and try to learn from each dish, whether it was a success or a flop. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
So there you have it, my list of 10 things I love about myself. See, not so bad right? And the best thing about checking in with yourself and your list is that you can constantly add new things to it! We are all constantly growing and changing, and discovering new things about ourselves to love and appreciate. This is a great place to start for those who are new to self-love and it’s a great place to come back to when you’re in a rough spot. Now I challenge you to write out your own list, and please do get deep and mushy and funky and silly! Share in a comment one thing you love about yourself to get started!